N. C. Wyeth House and Studio, Brandywine River Museum of ArtN. C. Wyeth, b 1882- d 1945
The main room of the studio, dominated by an immense three-part Palladian-style window, is a huge cavernous space containing three easels, approximately 900 reference books, and many of the “props” Wyeth used in his work. An early 19th century birch bark canoe hangs from ceiling rafters, and busts of Washington, Lafayette and John Paul Jones peer down from high bookshelves. Here, Wyeth created his iconic visions of knights, cowboys and pirates, painting hundreds of book and magazine illustrations that brought these and other characters to life.
In 1923, Wyeth added the equally dramatic mural studio to achieve the additional height needed for his mural work. This studio is presided over by William Penn. Man of Vision. Courage. Action, a mural Wyeth created in 1932 for the Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company. Returned to the studio in 1997, the Penn mural gives visitors the opportunity to experience the scale in which Wyeth worked.
Did you know...?When his children were young, each Christmas N. C. Wyeth would dress up as Santa Claus, scale the roof of the house and jingle sleigh bells down the chimney.
The Brandywine River Museum of Art holds the largest collection of N. C. Wyeth’s paintings and drawings. The BRMA Research Center holds archival material from Wyeth’s studio and from other members of the Wyeth family that pertain to the illustrator’s career.
New in 2021 - Virtual Tours of the Andrew and N.C. Wyeth Studios
- Andrew Wyeth Studio, Brandywine River Museum of Art0.00 mi.
- The Wharton Esherick Museum15.64 mi.
- Demuth Museum39.34 mi.
- Fonthill Castle39.86 mi.
WHAT TO DO HERE
- Tour the house and studio with a trained guide.
- Visit the Brandywine River Museum of Art to see the N. C. Wyeth collection.
- Walk along the Brandywine River and other museum trails to experience the countryside, a constant source of inspiration to Wyeth.
- Expand the Wyeth story by visiting the studio of N. C.’s son Andrew.
YOU CAN ALSO SEE THE ART HERE:
- Delaware Art Museum, Wilmington, DE
- Farnsworth Art Museum, Rockland, ME
- Texas Tech University Art Museum, Lubbock, TX
- Brunnier Art Museum, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- Free Library of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA
- New York Public Library, New York City, NY